Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The LNWC Forum

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Destiny: Crucible Tips Empty Destiny: Crucible Tips Wed 08 Oct 2014, 11:51 am

walldoggy

walldoggy

Don't know if these actually work, but some good tips:

Reddit Thread

Hey guys, I just wanted to throw some general Crucible Tips out there to try to help out a bit. These tips aren’t limited to one game type, but rather the PvP experience as a whole. Obligatory wall of text warning, as there is a lot of ground to cover here.

1. Know your Guardian: This is tip is actually pretty simple if you stop to think about it, but it doesn’t always come to mind consciously. Destiny has more variation in player customization than previous Bungie games, so every Guardian’s loadout will have their own individual strengths and weaknesses that you need to be aware of. If you’re running with a Shotgun, it’s probably not in your best interest to venture down long hallways, or if you’re using a Sniper, you shouldn’t really be sprinting all-get-out around corners. Don’t just limit this to weapons, though; take into account what perks you have selected, and play to those strengths. Again, this seems like it might be common sense, but it should be something that you’re considering at all times.

2. Use your Super: A mistake that I constantly made when I first picked up Destiny was I would either forgot to consistently use my Super, or I would try to hold onto it for too long. The truth is you should be trying to find a situation to use your Super as often as you can. Remember, you don’t gain anything by holding on to the Super for a longer period of time—it’s not like your Super gets stronger if you wait to use it. If your Super is up, you should be looking to use it ASAP, either by activating it immediately for whatever boost it gives you or by putting yourself in a situation in which you can maximize its effectiveness. Either way, don’t hold onto that Super for long. While it’s not quite a “free kill”, it is most definitely “free stats”, so there’s no real reason not to use it.

3. Stay together: You’ll notice I didn’t say “stay grouped”, and that’s a key distinction to make. You don’t want to be so close together that a single well placed Super or Grenade will wipe out half your team. However, by staying near your teammates, you give yourself a safe zone to retreat into, and you also give your enemy more targets to distract them away from you. A team tactic that was pioneered in Halo (I believe) is trading shields, where you constantly take turns tanking fire in gunfights, so that if your shields get low your teammate steps in and essentially tags you out until your shields recharge. While the lack of teamspeak might make this harder, the concept remains: if your shields get dropped while you’re in a firefight, hide amongst your teammates until they recharge.

4. Don’t get greedy: This is something that I think even good players will screw up on occasionally, just because it’s so easy to get caught up in the chaotic pace of the Crucible. If you drop someone’s shields and they go running away and around a corner, don’t just blindly chase them, because more often than not they’ll have pulled out a shotgun and are waiting for you around the corner. By chasing someone down, you’re putting yourself in their zone of control and letting them set the pace of the fight, even if their shields are low. As tough as it can be to let a potential kill go, it’s not worth the risk of pursuing without knowing what your opponent might have up their sleeve. If you have Rockets or Grenades, then by all means, use your tools to flush your enemy out, but don’t simply chase blindly.

5. Use your radar: The radar feature is what sets Destiny apart from most other FPS’s out on the market. It tells you the general location of your opponents and whether or not they’re on the same vertical plane as you, but that’s really about it. Past that, you don’t know how healthy they are, what weapon they have, if they’ve activated their Super, etc. In this aspect, all you really know is that someone is close to you, and the range of the radar means you’re given just enough time to react with that information. There isn’t some master tip for this one, unfortunately—just incorporate the other tips and figure out your plan of attack. Also, always try to keep an eye on the radar; you don’t want to be that guy that dies because he was flanked while he tunnel-visioned down his scope. On the other hand, don’t spend so much time staring at the map that you get picked off by someone just out of the radar’s range.

6. You can crouch: Yeah, you can crouch and you’ll momentarily disappear off the enemy’s radar. This isn’t permanent, however—it’s not like the Halo version where you completely fall off the map. Instead, you will still pulse on the enemy’s radar once every few seconds. The important part here, however, is that you immediately vanish when you first duck. In the event that your shields get dropped and you’re trying to evade your pursuer, you can drop into a crouch and buy yourself a couple of key seconds with which to plan out your next course of action. It’s not fool-proof, but it can work as a stalling tactic and can save your life in the correct circumstance.

7. Prioritize your targets: This is one of the more difficult tactics to get down, because there is no universally correct way to do this. It’s actually easier to address how not to prioritize targets, so we’ll start there: a lot of people new to the FPS genre will have a hard time deciding which target to focus on when presented with multiple options, and will panic and end up doing minimal damage to multiple enemies rather than securing the kill on just one or two targets. The short answer for prioritizing is figuring out which target is the largest threat to your ability to kill. If you’re at a mid-to-long range distance between a number of targets, you probably don’t want to focus on the guy running a Shotgun. However, if he’s the only guy that’s spotted you and he’s started to bum-rush you, you should definitely try to drop him first, as he presents the largest threat. Keep track of what weapons your targets are using, as well as what they’re focused on. Finally, it’s almost always better that you manage to kill even just one target, rather than just get splash damage across four enemies. Part of the reason why this technique is so difficult to get down is that there are so many variables at play; you need to try to keep track of what weapons your enemies have, as well as what powers may or may not be up. There is no shortcut here, so the best thing that will help you here is experience. The most important thing here, though, is to make sure that you focus one enemy at a time.

8. Control the engagement: I’d say that this tip is a combination of tips 1, 4, and7. Essentially, put yourself in a situation in which you can both maximize your lethality, as well as minimize your opponents. If the damage trade isn’t going in your favor—say you got outshot or ambushed—then get out of the immediate engagement and figure it out from there. Fight to with an advantage. If you manage to take down one guy, but your shields are low, don’t go for that sweet Double Down, as tempting as it may seem. If you see that your opponent has a heavy weapon or a Super, get the hell out of there. Don’t leave yourself in a bad firefight for no reason; you don’t get any extra EXP for bravery.

9. Shoot the head (unless they have shields): As everyone should know at this point, headshot s(or Precision Shots) do a ridiculous amount of bonus damage. Thus, you should always be looking to try to land headshots in PvP in order to maximize your lethality. However, you’ll want to keep in mind that headshots don’t do bonus damage if the enemy’s shields are still up, so you don’t have to tunnel in on trying to land the headshots initially. It is good practice, however, to keep your reticle on the head, if only to make sure that you don’t have to adjust your shot after you drop your target’s shields. Regardless, focus on the head and you’ll find yourself winning way more gunfights than if you just sprayed and prayed.

10. Don’t assume: Seriously, don’t ever assume anything. Don’t assume that an enemy doesn’t have their Super ready, or that they aren’t waiting around the corner for you with a Shotgun, or that they don’t have their entire team lying in wait for you. Always be ready for the worst possible outcome so that it’s less likely that you’re caught off guard. And especially never assume that your teammates saw something that you did—it’s very likely that an enemy will run right by your teammate and they won’t even turn to help you out, owing in part to the vague radar system. Be aware that I’m not saying that you should always play scared, but instead I’ m saying play smart. Take calculated risks and be ready to take in information about your opponents—always try to be aware and know your enemy.

TL;DR: Play smarter, not harder.

https://lnwc.forumotion.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum